Max number of services that can be monitored ?

misc at viceconsulting.co.nz misc at viceconsulting.co.nz
Mon Oct 10 02:58:04 CEST 2005

All,

I have a Nagios server that is monitoring about 60 hosts / 1000 services,
however the CPU is pretty much continually maxed out at 100%, and the
average active check latency is around 28 seconds (compared to 0.1 seconds
with my other Nagios server which are monitoring < 100 services).

I was wondering, with 256MB ram and a 2.8GHz P4, should I be maxing out
Nagios at 1000 services?  I was thinking this seems a little low, and
thought I could probably be monitoring around 10,000 services before
worrying about maxing out the machine's resources...

Is what's happening with my Nagios server normal, or have I made a blatant
configuration error that is slowing everything down?

What other hardware / number of services are people using / monitoring
without maxing out their server's resources?

Also curious is there is any rule of thumbs for determining the max number
of services you can schedule comfortably on a given server?

I'm runinng Nagios 2.0b4 (embedded Perl DISABLED) on redhat es 3 update 5.

Cheers,
-Alex.