Probably a trivial permission issue?

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Fri Oct 7 15:26:45 CEST 2005

issue?

> Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >while logged in in my Nagios' server web realm with
nagiosadmin
> >credentials,
> >who is supposed to have full permission,
> >
> >$ grep nagiosadmin /opt/sw/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg|grep -v ^#
> >authorized_for_all_services=nagiosadmin
> >authorized_for_all_hosts=nagiosadmin
> >authorized_for_all_service_commands=nagiosadmin
> >authorized_for_all_host_commands=nagiosadmin
> >
> >and clicking on the "view notifications for this host" link
> >I get the following:
> >
> >Error: Cannot open log file
'/opt/sw/nagios/var/log/nagios.log'
> >for reading!
> >

> >How come?
> >

> Check all directories from / to ensure that  the 'nagios'
> user has R and
> X permissions, or at least X permissions to traverse the
directories.

> One of the directories is probably blocking nagios from
> passing through it.

O, this is so embarrassing!!! :-(

Sorry, for bothering you (but sometimes it needs another pair of
eyes)

$ for d in $(echo /opt/sw/nagios/var/log|tr \/ \\040);do
dir="$dir/$d";ls -ld $dir;done
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     system       512 Jun 21 2004  /opt
drwxr-sr-x  53 sys      sys         2048 Aug 05 18:28 /opt/sw
drwxr-sr-x  10 nagios   nagios       512 Sep 20 14:35
/opt/sw/nagios
lrwxrwxrwx   1 nagios   nagios        15 Jun 20 13:42
/opt/sw/nagios/var -> /var/opt/nagios
drwxr-----   2 nagios   nagios       512 Oct 02 00:00
/opt/sw/nagios/var/log

$ chmod go+rx /opt/sw/nagios/var/log

$ ls -ld /opt/sw/nagios/var/log
drwxr-xr-x   2 nagios   nagios       512 Oct 02 00:00
/opt/sw/nagios/var/log