Inexplicable service escalation behaviour

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Fri Oct 7 09:43:47 CEST 2005

Andreas
> Ericsson
> Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:29 PM
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Inexplicable service escalation
behaviour

> Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de wrote:
> > Dear List Subscribers,
> >
> > although I have already asked how to properly set up an
> > escalation scheme
> > a couple of weeks ago here (sorry, only find time to continue
> > Nagios fumbling
> > every now and then at work, and at home it would be useless
due
> > to lacking testing ground
> > (ok, I could emulate a host and network farm by vmware or xen
> > etc., but that's too much fuss))
> > I desperately need further assistance.
> >
> > I am not getting on with this.
> >
> > I swear that I've read carefully the sections on escalations
in
> > the Nagios docs at least thrice
> > by now.
> > And the presented examples in the docs sound very convincing
> > me
> > (though a bit far-fetched) so that I very well can gather, I
> > suppose, how it should work - in *theory*.
> >
> > My objective seems very trivial to me.
> >
> > I just want Nagios to send a *single* notification by using
my
> > "file-service-sc-ticket"
> > (misc)command definition to our trouble ticketing system,
> > but at the same time keep continuing sending out repetetive
> > notifications to the
> > various admin recipients at the common notification intervall
> > (at least the latter is working).
> >

> Create a small script that checks the value of the macro
> $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$ (or some such, check the docs for exact
> name). If
> it's any higher than 1, don't send to the ticketing system.
> This is by
> far the easiest way of doing reverse escalations.

Andreas,

many thanks for pointing my nose at the Nagios macros,
which indeed lend themselves to being used in scripts
(well, I guess that's there main purpose).
I have to admit that I totally forgot for a while about them.
I will revisit the macro tables in the docs and make a wee
wrapper script
that evaluates appropriate candidates like $NOTIFICATIONNUMBER$
to decide
whether to file a ticket, as you suggested.

Btw, will the macros be exported to external commands'
environments per default,
so that for instance in a Perl script I could refer to them by
e.g. $ENV{NOTIFICATIONNUMBERS} ?
(never mind, more of a rhetorical question which I can easily
answer myself by trial)