Verion 2.0b4 how does cgi's nagios_check_command work?

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Thu Oct 6 22:58:24 CEST 2005

Hi all:

I have groveled through the cgi files in nagios 2.0b4 and I can't find
any instance of the nagios_check_command actually being executed. Am I
just missing it somewhere?

    cgiutils.c load the variable from the config file
    extinfo.c  checks to see if the variable is empty and produces a nice
               little warning if it is.

but nothing seems to actually execute the command. The reason I ask is
that nagios was down and the cgi's all happily reported that it was
up. Could this be because the host and service status files were
available since the machine crashed?

There is a variable nagios_process_state that seems to be set
unconditionally to STATE_OK that would be set to the output state of
the check_nagios_command. Grepping through the source tree turns up lots of
comparisons, but only the two assignments.

  Assignments
    cgiutils.c:int             nagios_process_state=STATE_OK;
    cgiutils.c:     nagios_process_state=STATE_OK;

  Use/declarations
    cgiutils.c:     if(nagios_process_state!=STATE_OK)
    cmd.c:extern int  nagios_process_state;
    extinfo.c:extern int              nagios_process_state;
    extinfo.c:      if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK){
    extinfo.c:      if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK){
    extinfo.c:      else if(nagios_process_state==STATE_WARNING){
    extinfo.c:      else if(nagios_process_state==STATE_CRITICAL){
    extinfo.c:      if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK){
    extinfo.c:      if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK){
    extinfo.c:      if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK){
    extinfo.c:      if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK){
    statuswml.c:extern int      nagios_process_state;
    statuswml.c:    if(nagios_process_state==STATE_OK)
    tac.c:extern int nagios_process_state;

Also the default nagios_check_command define in the sample cgi.cfg
looks for the file:

      status.dat

but that has dumped status info, and the check_nagios command (from
the 1.4 plugins) can't understand it. It looks like it should be
looking for the log file: nagios.log. When run using the nagios.log
file the expected result is returned.

So thoughts, quips, comments or questions?

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard