I need a tip for page swapping monitoring...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 6 17:35:26 CEST 2005

Rejaine Monteiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I monitoring "page swapping" (not just "swap" or "memory") like
> in xosview on the "page" option?

If by page swapping you mean the amount of times the system hits a page
fault (i.e. accesses the data on swap), I have no idea. I further have
no idea of how to monitor the amount of time the system swaps pages to
disk, although it should be easy enough to at least estimate with a bit
of trickery (check swap partition usage with common intervals and see
how much it grows/shrinks).

I must confess though that unless you're doing some serious voodoo
coding involving kernel memory management and cache miss predicitions, I
really don't see a use for it, and if you were I've got a feeling you
wouldn't be asking these questions.

Usually it's enough to monitor the swap usage. When it grows to a
certain amount it's time to do something about it, no matter how fast it
got there.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se