Route Interfaces

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Thu Oct 6 09:32:55 CEST 2005

<quote who="Richard Gliebe">
> when on our router1 the interface r1-r2 goes down, we want only one
> notification (from the router1), same action from the router2 when the
> interface r2-r1 goes down.

If the link between the two is a serial link (like a T1) and you
are running something like HDLC, CiscoHDLC or PPP, for framing,
then when one side goes down, the other will to. (Line protocol
will be down.)

Now, I also take it that the Nagios server is parallel to the two
routers.  So, topology is more like:

                         Nagios

                        Router A
                       /        \
                      /          \
                     /            \
                    /              \
           Router r1-r2  <-----> r2-r1 Router

The main issue with what you want, is that it is not a parent/child
relationship.  You want monitoring where one unit is not dependant
on the other unit, but you want it combined into one unit.

This is very difficult to do, without changing the Nagios code.

A work around is to have either:
  o just one monitor that checks both (some scripting required)
       or
  o monitor each seperately with notifications turned off and have
    a third monitor using check_cluster, from the nagios_plugins
    contrib directory, that has notifications turned on.

--
And, did Guloka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
                                         -Centauri