Route Interfaces

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Thu Oct 6 08:04:19 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

We have a little notification *problem* between our Routers.

Here is a cut out of our Router Environment:

|-------|    r1-r2	  |-------|
|Router1|<--------------->|Router2|
|-------|    r2-r1	  |-------|

We are monitoring every interface (r1-r2 / r2-r1) between our Routers
(see above).
Now, when the interface r1-r2 on our router1 goes down, we get two
Notifications, one from the interface "r1-r2" on router1 and from
"r2-r1" on router2. But, we only need one Notification (from the faulty
router).

Is there a way to suppress the other notification ?

I've played with the "parents" parameter:

# 'r1-r2' host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host

        host_name               r1-r2
        alias                   r1-r2
        address                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        parents                 r1-r2
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      3
        notification_interval   0
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        contact_groups          sys-admins
        }

But '# nagios -v ./nagios.cfg' says:
[...]
Error: There is a circular parent/child path that exists for host
'r1-r2'!
[...]

We are running Nagios Version 2.0b3 on FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE.

Thanks in advance
Richard

--
Richard Gliebe <richard.gliebe at fhv.at>