Check for thrashing

Davy Durham pubaddr2 at davyandbeth.com
Wed Oct 5 04:26:46 CEST 2005

Hi..

  Does anyone know of a plugin that can check if a machine is
"thrashing" by which I mean it continues to swap and swap.. because
either there is too little ram, or too many processes running on the
box.  I would think a vmstat command could tell you that, though it
would need a few seconds to determine.  And I'm not sure what numbers
would indicate what a bad amount would be.

Thanks,
  Davy