parents/dependencies confusion

Scot Jenkins scotjenkins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:59:12 CEST 2005

On 10/4/05, brianmas at highstream.net <brianmas at highstream.net> wrote:

> ok what I have done is set up a hosts.cfg entries for the default gateway of the
> 3 networks and set the 'parents' directive for all hosts in each respective
> networks. I guess I wasn't thinking about monitoring machines that are not
> under our control (all our servers are colo'd).

I find looking at the "status map" cgi also helps to see if you have
your "parents" set up correctly.

I have multiple NIC's on my firewall and set each NIC up as it's own
host to more accurately reflect the network and then use the (nic)
host as a parent for things beyond it.  So I have something like this:

Assume nagios runs on the firewall box itself.

 nagios process ---- fw_inside_nic --- inside_host_a
  |        |
  |       +----fw_dmz_nic --- dmz_host_a

  +---- fw_outside_nic --- dsl_router ----- isp_upstream_link ----
outside_host_a

Then in my config:

inside_host_a's parents == fw_inside_nic
dmz_host_a's parents == fw_dmz_nic

outside_host_a's parents == isp_upstream_link
isp_upstream_link's parents == dsl_router
dsl_router's parents == fw_outside_nic

This seems to work well.  If I were to unplug my dsl router, the
dsl_router host would show down and the isp_upstream_link and
outside_host_a will show unreachable.

HTH,

Scot