NSCA Documentation

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Tue Oct 4 04:33:31 CEST 2005

Chris Caldwell writes:

> Could someone please point me to some documentation on running NSCA  on a
> remote host?

Yep, it's in the Nagios docs.  Click on the link in the left-hand menu
and eventually you will find all you need without even having to resort
to Google.

> Can the normal nagios plugins run locally on the remote host  with their
> output piped to NSCA?

This is how it is meant to work.  You have Nagios (with or without the
CGIs, with or without notifications, this is your choice) running on the
remote host and submitting passive check details.

> There is no documentation for NSCA  with the module or on the
> NagiosExchange site.

There is a LOT of documentation about NSCA on the main NAGIOS site. It
may not be easy to find or where you might expect it, but it's there.  In
my opinion the documentation could be redesigned to be of more use to those
(who are, I seem to observe, more common than others) trying to use NSCA
but that's my opinion and I managed to find out how to use NSCA.

What you want is (mostly) covered in redundant monitoring, failover
monitoring and stuff like that.  Places you'd never look unles you read
the whole docs.  Which you really, really ought to do.

Dunno about you, but I figure that any time I use FREE software there is
likely to be a cost in expenditure of my time figuring out how to use it.
If you want the dancing installation wizard that asks you all the questions
you might possibly ask (unless you are remotely technical) then stick with
Microsucks.  If you want to use products that can be made to do what you
want to do, rather than what Bill Gates says you have to do, then RTFM.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support