check_load question

Timothy O'Hare tim at infostream.com.au
Tue Nov 29 23:20:34 CET 2005

Hi Joe,
These numbers are strange  - 1599%??
What is the check command that you are using?
Can you check the load some other way to make sure nagios is reporting
correctly?

Here we use a check command for checking the load by ssh that is:

# 'check_load_by_ssh' command definition
define command{
         command_name    check_load_by_ssh
         command_line    $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t 60 -n
$HOSTNAME$ -s check_load_by_ssh -C '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load
-w 2,1,1 -c 3,2,2'
         }

and it gives notifications like

***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Check_load_by_ssh
Host: database
Address: 192.1.2.77
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Fri May 27 15:53:53 EST 2005

Additional Info:

CRITICAL - load average: 3.89, 1.99, 1.45

where 3.89 is the load averaged over 1 minute, 1.99 is over 5 minutes
and 1.45 is over 15 minutes.

Tim