2.0b5 initial host/service checks delayed after start (not present in 2.0b3)

Eli Stair estair at ilm.com
Tue Nov 29 04:58:17 CET 2005

I'm running a fresh build of 2.0b5 on x86_64.  After an initial start of
nagios, it can take up to 10 minutes for the first host or service
checks to begin.  There is no CPU load by the nagios process during this
time.  I have over 1000 hosts to check, and have reduced the max
host/service check spread in order to ensure that it is not "evening"
out the time.

This problem is NOT occuring on a 2.0b3 build, with the same exact
configuration.

After the checks DO start, it can take hours to finish.  I've changed
the user to root so that I can have the host check be check_icmp -t 1 -p
1.

Unfortunately, even with this situation, having anywhere between 4 and
64 hosts go down can make the "monitoring" aspect effectively useless.

Any suggestions on the problem of startup lag?
Any ways to further speed up the host check runs, aside from using
check_icmp?

Thanks,

/eli

### inline nagios.cfg:

[root at monitor02 etc]# cat nagios.cfg | egrep -v "^#|^$"
log_file=/var/log/nagios/nagios.log
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg
cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/config
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/customcommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg
object_cache_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/objects.cache
resource_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
status_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat
nagios_user=root
nagios_group=root
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=-1
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
comment_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/comments.dat
downtime_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.dat
lock_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock
temp_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.tmp
event_broker_options=-1
log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/var/log/nagios/archives
use_syslog=1
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=1
log_host_retries=1
log_event_handlers=1
log_initial_states=0
log_external_commands=1
log_passive_checks=1
service_inter_check_delay_method=s
max_service_check_spread=15
service_interleave_factor=s
host_inter_check_delay_method=s
max_host_check_spread=10
max_concurrent_checks=0
service_reaper_frequency=15
auto_reschedule_checks=0
auto_rescheduling_interval=30
auto_rescheduling_window=180
sleep_time=0.25
service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5
retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/retention.dat
retention_update_interval=0
use_retained_program_state=1
use_retained_scheduling_info=0
interval_length=60
use_aggressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=0
execute_host_checks=1
accept_passive_host_checks=1
enable_notifications=1
enable_event_handlers=1
process_performance_data=0
obsess_over_services=0
check_for_orphaned_services=0
check_service_freshness=1
service_freshness_check_interval=60
check_host_freshness=1
host_freshness_check_interval=60
aggregate_status_updates=1
status_update_interval=15
enable_flap_detection=0
low_service_flap_threshold=5.0
high_service_flap_threshold=20.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0
date_format=iso8601
illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()=
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>
use_regexp_matching=0
use_true_regexp_matching=0
admin_email=nagios