Nagios 2.0b3: Notification for Parents only, not children

Jesse Driskill jessed at 180solutions.com
Mon Nov 28 17:25:59 CET 2005

Hello,

            I've been trying to reduce the number of hosts I get
notifications for to one when a parent dies. For example, if a set of
server all have the same parent and that parents goes down I'd like to
only get notified on the parent going down, not all the children. I have
parents defined for every host in my environment but I still get
notifications for both the children and the parents, so I think I've
missed something. I've considered setting up host dependencies but it
looks like that would be overkill for this, besides, creating dependency
definition for every hop containing the proper children from that
checking servers point of view would be time consuming and error prone
at the least. Inheritance would make it better of course but

            How is this normally handled? If host dependencies are
necessary what is the purpose of defining 'parents' under host
definitions? I see that the documentation states that host dependencies
should not be confused with parents and only parents are usually
necessary, but they don't seem to be limiting my notifications when a
VPN tunnel to a remote site goes down. (for example)

            Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jesse