CGI error in 2.0b4 & 2.0b5

Hans Veneman Hans.Veneman at xb.nl
Wed Nov 23 12:06:24 CET 2005

> On 11/22/05, Hans Veneman <Hans.Veneman at xb.nl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On a Fedora Core 3 system with the latest updates I compiled and
> > installed Nagios 2.0b4 and (last week) Nagios 2.0b5.
> Everything seems
> > to work great, except for the cgi-scripts once in a while:
> >
> > In about 3% of the requests (for any of the cgi's) they give an
> > internal server error. Running them from the command line
> learned that
> > it's a bus error that's causing this, and it happens right
> after the
> > status log is opened (strace output):
> >
> > open("/opt/nagios/var/status.log", O_RDONLY) = 4 fstat64(4,
> > {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=4578196, ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 4578196,
> > PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 4, 0) = 0xf6b99000
> > --- SIGBUS (Bus error) @ 0 (0) ---
> > +++ killed by SIGBUS +++
> >
> > If you wonder why Nagios is in /opt, it's because i'm migrating our
> > current Nagios master server from a Solaris server to a
> Fedora server.
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea what's causing this, and what
> can be done
> > to prevent these errors?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Hans
>
> While I've not seen this error before, it may help to know
> the options you built nagios with, and the hardware type for
> the system(64bit, ppc, x86 etc). I'm using the rpms supplied
> for nagios on a rhel4 machine,  and I've had no such issues.

It's an x86 machine. Nagios was configured with:
--prefix=/opt/nagios --with-cgiurl=/cgi-bin/nagios --with-htmurl=/nagios
--with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios
--with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/include
--disable-statusmap --disable-statuswrl

> One piece of unrequested advice: Don't use fedora for servers
> unless you're okay with the REALLY fast paced upgrade system,
> and migration path. Instead I'd recommend something like the CentOS (
> http://centos.org) project, which is a free rebuild of rhel,
> with the same life span rhel has.

Thanks for the advice. We are currently using 2 Linux distributions:
RHEL and Fedora, but we are looking into CentOS right now.

Cheers,
Hans

--
Hans Veneman                      XB