Using NRPE to call remote event_handlers

Mark Pearson Mark.Pearson at uftwf.org
Mon Nov 21 22:42:11 CET 2005

Anyone else using check_nrpe to run script on remote hosts for event
handlers?

It's a basic setup but just not sure what I missing.

I have central box that monitors our web & db server farm.  If a service
fails I want an event to kick off on the remote machine that will restart
the httpd or any other service.  All the docs I see are for calling local
event handlers.

When I run the script locally it works and I have setup a sudoer file so
that the scripts can be called.  However, when I try to run the event
handler manually, as seen below it does not work.  Anything I am missing?

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H app-dev -p 5666 -c eh_krang_failover
-a CRITICAL SOFT 2

I receive the following, which happens to be an piece of the output that is
seen when running the event handler on the actual host.

Restarting Krang service (2rd soft critical state)...Loading configured
skin:

Any ideas?

Mark T. Pearson
Senior Network Engineer
UFT Welfare Fund <BLOCKED::http://www.uft.org/>
52 Broadway, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10004
(212) 539-0605

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or approved by the UFT Welfare Fund.