check_dhcp

Jamie Pratt jpratt at norwich.edu
Fri Nov 18 14:42:57 CET 2005

Hi.

I have an environment with 4 MS Active Directory DNS servers running
DHCP. The dhcp servers are "load-balanced" in two pairs, via a cabletron
smart-switch router upstream which hands off two offers per dhcp request...

So.. Herein lies my problem. Since the AD servers do not actually hand
off the addresses (the switch does), the checks on the ad system IP's
fail, even though two offers are recieved, it fails....

Anyhow, here is what I mean... (10.18.1.222, and 10.18.1.224 are the
actual AD servers - the SSR is 10.2.1.1 - each ad controller hands off a
different dhcp range/scope as you can see)

--------------------------

[root at desktop libexec]# ./check_dhcp -s 10.18.1.222 -t 10 -v
DHCP socket: 3
Hardware address: 000bdb75532c
DHCPDISCOVER to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER XID: 2134469954 (0x7F396D42)
DHCDISCOVER ciaddr:  0.0.0.0
DHCDISCOVER yiaddr:  0.0.0.0
DHCDISCOVER siaddr:  0.0.0.0
DHCDISCOVER giaddr:  0.0.0.0
send_dhcp_packet result: 548

recv_result_1: 304
recv_result_2: 304
receive_dhcp_packet() result: 304
receive_dhcp_packet() source: 10.2.1.1
Result=OK
DHCPOFFER from IP address 10.2.1.1
DHCPOFFER XID: 2134469954 (0x7F396D42)
DHCPOFFER chaddr: 000BDB75532C
DHCPOFFER ciaddr: 0.0.0.0
DHCPOFFER yiaddr: 10.5.14.18
DHCPOFFER siaddr: 10.18.1.224
DHCPOFFER giaddr: 10.2.1.1
Option: 53 (0x01)
Option: 1 (0x04)
Option: 58 (0x04)
Option: 59 (0x04)
Lease Time: 0 seconds
Renewal Time: 21600 seconds
Rebinding Time: 37800 seconds
Added offer from server @ 10.2.1.1 of IP address 10.5.14.18

recv_result_1: 304
recv_result_2: 304
receive_dhcp_packet() result: 304
receive_dhcp_packet() source: 10.2.1.1
Result=OK
DHCPOFFER from IP address 10.2.1.1
DHCPOFFER XID: 2134469954 (0x7F396D42)
DHCPOFFER chaddr: 000BDB75532C
DHCPOFFER ciaddr: 0.0.0.0
DHCPOFFER yiaddr: 10.5.7.42
DHCPOFFER siaddr: 10.18.1.222
DHCPOFFER giaddr: 10.2.1.1
Option: 53 (0x01)
Option: 1 (0x04)
Option: 58 (0x04)
Option: 59 (0x04)
Lease Time: 0 seconds
Renewal Time: 21600 seconds
Rebinding Time: 37800 seconds
Added offer from server @ 10.2.1.1 of IP address 10.5.7.42

No (more) data received
Result=ERROR
Total responses seen on the wire: 2
Valid responses for this machine: 2
DHCP problem: Received 2 DHCPOFFER(s), 0 of 1 requested servers
responded, max lease time = 0 sec.

Obviously, if i monitor the 10.2.1.1 address with check_dhcp, it works
fine, but defeats the purpose since the ssr router/switch is the parent
of most of these devices, MS AD systems included... :-(

So.. Any future option for specifying the oferring server, and the
actual requested server, or any workarounds available here? I dug around
extensively for a "workaround" or something but have found nothing.. any
ideas/thoughts appreciated...

THanks,
Jamie