Help Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 17 20:26:33 CET 2005

Another one that doesn't get the hint that I don't like email. I'll
answer it though, just so everyone knows.

Mehmet Fatih AKBULUT wrote:
> hi andreas.
> actually its not my business :p
> and nothing to do with me ...
> but dunno why u so pissed off ?

I'm not. I'm just disgusted with people that make me lose time so they
can keep their jobs (or time) without even trying themselves.

> ur mails are soo bitter :)
> knowledge of all people are not the same.

True, but
1. People who can't read should learn.
2. People who *can* read should read the docs.
3. People who can't speak english should learn english (it's more or
less a requirement for working with computers anyways), or pay someone
to translate the docs for them.

> its good to share what you know with the ones that really in need of help :p
> this is of course my humble opinion. u care or not.

It's my opinion too, but people who steal my time so they don't have to
bother to learn anything are evil. They take resources from me that I
could spend on something better, like writing software.

> but please put yourself in others shoes.
> understand us :) cos u may need help in one day too.
> receiving such a bothering answer may not be welcomed so much :)

I frequently ask questions about things (although not on this mailing
list), and I nearly always get very polite and detailed answers from
people who are just like me. I think this is mainly because

1. I do much research to find out the problem myself before I ask anyone
about it.

2. *When* I ask someone something, I ask "I want to accomplish this.
Here's what I've tried. Am I on the right track or do I need to start
looking elsewhere?". I.e, I tell those I expect to help me the big
picture first and then go on by telling them the steps I've taken to
accomplish it myself. This lets them know that I'm at least capable of
using my brain and that I'm really interested in getting whatever the
problem may be solved.

3. Whenever I find a solution to a non-trivial problem (or even a
trivial one which I couldn't find an answer to someplace else), I post
it back to the list where I asked for help. This makes list archives
useful rather than a big cess-pool of repeated questions.

4. I never, *ever* send anyone anything off-list unless they explicitly
ask me to.

5. I don't have any auto-spamming software that spews crap out to those
on the list.

6. I never re-post the same question twice. If it wasn't interesting
enough to get any responses I do some more research. If I make any
progress with the problem then I *might* post again.

> (ps: pls dont curse on me :p)

7. I don't often curse and I never use multiple exclamation marks or ALL
CAPS TO GET THE ATTENTION because I *know* that whatever help I get will
be for free, which means it will cost someone else something (their time
generally although I was once sent a laptop) which in turn means I can't
expect anybody to do anything to solve *my* problems.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se