passive checks; some work some don't

Steve Wray steve.wray at cwa.co.nz
Thu Nov 17 20:22:07 CET 2005

Demetri Mouratis wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Steve Wray wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've been using nagios for quite some time, but never used passive
>> checks or distributed monitoring.
>>
>> I've come across a very strange situation.
[big snip]
>> Any clues would be appreciated!
>

> Are you running the web interface on the distributed Nagios sites?  If
> so, log into both Distributed and Central web interfaces and look at the
> results side by side.

Yes... I've been pondering over this quite a bit!

> Then, try scheduling active checks through the web interface on the
> Distributed side.

Done that...

> Are you using nsca to send the results from distributed to central?  Is
> it configured out of inet on Central or running standalone?

Yes, using nsca and configured out of inet.

I've modified the script given in:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html

so that it logs its actions into a file and found that it never *ever*
sends a passive alert for anything other than my 'ping' checks, and even
then only for some of them.

I've been following the documentation quite closely.

--
There is nothing more important to good government than good education.