passive checks; some work some don't

Steve Wray steve.wray at cwa.co.nz
Thu Nov 17 20:00:34 CET 2005

Hi there,

I've been using nagios for quite some time, but never used passive
checks or distributed monitoring.

I've come across a very strange situation.

This may take some explaining and I'm not sure how lucid this is going
to be...

We have many service checks being run on a central, active, nagios
server which has been configured with the obsessive compulsive whatsits
and a passive nagios server, with a web interface, configured for
passive checks.

Many of the checks seem to work just fine, but some don't.

I have some services on some hosts with the passive checks working while
others don't work. And no difference that I can make out between them,
there seems to be nothing consistent that I can identify between the
instances which work and those which don't work.

In many cases, a service check on the active nagios server against a
host group results in some services on some hosts in that group showing
up as getting through to the passive nagios server, while other services
on other hosts in the same host group are still showing as 'pending' on
the passive nagios server.

I've tried manually simulating sending passive alerts for the
non-working services from the active server to the passive one from the
commandline and this works fine.

Any clues would be appreciated!