Selective email/paging notifications

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Thu Nov 17 07:18:59 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:04:19AM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Make a third contact with the login-name and set its
> notification-options to 'n'. Make it a member of all contactgroups where
> any of its notification aliases is a member.

This doesn't scale beyond 2-3 people before trying to track all the
references become mindboggling.

How about using a separator character in the name? Nagios itself treats all
contacts as normal.  The WebUI drops the separator and everything after it
in the calculation of 'visible'.

For example:

jrhett#mailonly
jrhett#only9-5
jrhett#emergencies

The normal notification routines are unmodified, and treat these as three
separate entities.  But the WebUI drops #.... and thus 'jrhett' can see
anything that any of the three are assigned?

This is a VERY common F-A-Q.  If I found a way to code this, would it be
accepted as a feature?

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek