Broken CPU cause of CRC Errors?

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Tue Nov 15 17:03:10 CET 2005

Hi,

yesterday one CPU of an FSC GP7000F sparc sun4us with Solaris 8
dropped off the perch.

However, the machine could be booted from OpenBoot prompt to RL 3
and is now using the only left CPU#4

# prtdiag | tail -8

Failed Units in System Initialization
=====================================
CPU#0               FRU: CPU module(CPU#0)

No Recent System Faults found
=============================

# psrinfo -v
Status of processor 4 as of: 11/15/05 16:53:45
  Processor has been on-line since 11/15/05 12:35:19.
  The sparcv9 processor operates at 296 MHz,
        and has a sparcv9 floating point processor.

What puzzles me is that since that reboot all NRPE checks return
a CRC error.

Apart from the broken CPU nothing has changed, and all NRPE
checks of this box worked fine before.

Could there be a connection between the CRC errors I now receive
as alerts and the non-availability
of CPU#0?
Or maybe the system hasn't disabled the CPU#0 propperly.

To switch it off manually I ran
# psradm -f 0
psradm: processor 0: Invalid argument

but the system doesn't seem to see it anymore.

Regards
Ralph