Fwd: difference between nrpe-nt and nsclient?

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Tue Nov 15 05:16:24 CET 2005

Hi Cam,

Cam wrote:
> sorry... i'm still trying to get used to gmail replying to the
> individual instead of the list by default (i guess i'm too used to
> mutt), i'm forwarding this for the sake of keeping things on-list
> (sorry if this breaks threads)

Eh, nps.

> On 11/14/05, Greg Vickers <g.vickers at qut.edu.au> wrote:
>
>>NSClient: (legacy name) NetSaint Client - a win32 executable that runs
>>as a service and can retrieve all of the above information you require.
>>(IMHO, easier to implement than NRPE_NT - you only have to install one
>>executable on your windows hosts, rather than many.) However NSClient is
>>not as flexible as NRPE_NT.
>
> Great, this sounds like just the thing i am looking for (from the
> quick research i did it looks like nsclient will handle my needs for
> the windows boxen).  Anyway, one more question... because of firewall
> issues i kind of need to run this through a reverse-ssh tunnel (or
> something like that... basically the windows box is behind a firewall
> that i would rather not mess w/).  Are there any obvious difficulties
> in doing it this way?

You can configure NSClient to run on whatever port you want - so if
there is a hole in the fw that will get you access to an unused port on
the windows box, you're off and racing. I would recommend setting up a
port and rules on the fw specifically for NSClient, but if you don't
have access to the fw or there is some other reason you can't do this
then that is a problem.
You could run the checks through a SSH tunnel to the windows box, but
that introduces a bit of overhead on the check execution times and on
the Windows host. This may not be a problem for you.

There are many ways of getting access to that windows box, pick one that
is easy and manageable. :)

Faster, better, cheaper. Pick two.

--
Greg Vickers