difference between nrpe-nt and nsclient?

Cam cameron.matheson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 08:24:50 CET 2005

Hi,

I need to monitor some windows boxen (primarily win 2003 i think), for
the standard stuff (disk space, cpu, blah), and more importantly to
make sure a certain process is running at all times (it's not a
service, just a process).  I have no problem doing this sort of thing
on *nix, but i'm not quite so familiar w/ the wild world of windows.
I did a quick google search and came across two different beasts that
both look like they could do the job quite well: nsclient, and
nrpe_nt.  Now the question is... what are the differences between the
two?  I understand that nrpe_nt is mostly just a port of the standard
nrpe (which i have read about, but have not yet had the occasion to
use), whereas nsclient appears to be written from the ground up (and
apparently more dated?).  I was just wondering if people w/ experience
could tell me what (or hasn't) worked for them, and whether or not one
of these is the more "standard" approach.

thanks,
Cameron Matheson