Netsaint0.0.7-> Nagios2.0b4 (Contact group changes - The contact_groups directive has been moved from hostgroup definitions to host definitions.)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Nov 11 16:49:08 CET 2005

Declan McKay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on converting my Netsaint config files to the Nagios config file
> format using the Nagios Config File Converter I noticed that the
> pre-flight check is failing with an error for each Host defined in
> the hosts file -  "No default contact group defined for host Blah..."
>

> The documentation however does mention the following:- Contact group
> changes - The contact_groups directive has been moved from hostgroup
> definitions to host definitions. This was done in order to maintain
> consistency with the way service contacts are specified. Make sure to
> update your config files!
>
> Has anyone wrote a script which will output the changes correctly or
> one that will read & write the contact_groups from old Netsaint
> object file to new Nagios object file.

I have. You'll find them at http://oss.op5.se/nagios
They require the cli version of php to be installed.

> Appreciate if anyone has already wrote a script for such amendments -
> if they could forward it on.
>
> Also -  has anyone an idea as to when Nagios-2 will be available as a
> "Stable" release?

This has been asked quite a few times. 2.0b4 has been running with great
stability on many systems for a long time, so "stable" is just a matter
of terminology.

I believe FreeBSD 4.8 has a problem related to nagios forking and
calling all sorts of functions in the child. Nagios being threaded, this
isn't, strictly speaking, allowed although not expressly disallowed
either. It has been discussed at some length on the FreeBSD list via a
proxy. Search the archives if you're interested in the standards
specification discussion (highly technical). This can (mostly) be
mitigated by disabling the embedded perl interpreter.

No problems (that I know of) have been reported for other systems.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se