Monitoring web applications with Nagios

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 9 21:21:47 CET 2005

Ivan Fetch wrote:
>    What experience do folks have with monitoring web
>applications using nagios?
>    I've looked into web inject (http://www.webinject.org) but

Here, we have several web-based applications (Voyager, Peoplesoft, several
in-house) that are being monitored via Nagios.

We have several ways to do it!

1) check_http.  This is for single-page lookups, which works well.
2) check_website.  This is used for a couple of sequence retrieves.  It
supports cookies and forms, not javascript.  We're phasing this out.
3) webinject. This is very good for sequences.  It supports cookies, forms,
parsing and multiple tests.  However, no java or javascript.  It also
outputs in different reports, and can feed data to both Nagios and MRTG
natively. We use this mostly.
4) SiteScope.  This has a pricetag, but it is excellent at running tests.
It makes its own web-based reports, but can have a trigger action which can
do anything - so we can make it call send_nsca to feed into Nagios.  Runs
under windows, solaris or linux.  We use this for things that we can't
simulate under webinject.

None of these, though, support java.  What you would need for that is
something built into a browser, maybe - I've heard of complete simulators
but theyre expensive, and I cant remember any offhand.

Steve