NRPE + raidutil ?

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Mon Nov 7 20:36:36 CET 2005

Good afternoon, all.

I'm trying to monitor RAID array status using NRPE.  But I'm running
into minor security issues.

* Adaptec 2100S RAID controller
* CentOS 4.2
* raidutil RPM from http://i2o.shadowconnect.com

When logged directly into the system to monitor, the raidutil command
only works if I am root.

But NRPE refuses to start if I tell it to use root as user and group.
(Running under xinetd, in this case)

Can anyone tell me the best (most secure) way to get this working
properly?  This web page seems to talk about it, but in Czech...

http://homel.vsb.cz/~jas02/raid/

I am using an apparently custom Nagios plugin called "check_dpt_raid"
and again, it seems to run manually just fine as long as I am root.
(Can't remember where I got the plugin -- maybe from someone's mention
of it on the mailing list.  Nothing comes up when I search for the name!)

Thanks as always!

--
Jason Byrns
Production Manager