Hosted nagios ( was RE: how to notify via sms)

Marlier, Ian ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com
Fri Nov 4 17:08:10 CET 2005

In writing up some stuff for the thread "how to notify via sms", I
included a few notes about how I do external monitoring -- basically
using shell scripts cronned to run every minute on a couple of generic
web hosting companies.

This is effective, but limited.

I used to have a vendor doing external monitoring on approx. 15
different web addresses and externally-available services (SMTP and the
like), but they charged big money and weren't very reliable.  Also, the
particular monitoring program that they used was a little flakey.

I'm wondering whether there's anyone one there that does contract,
distributed hosting of Nagios.  That is, someone I can pay $x per year
to monitor some services, and alert network staff in the event of a
problem.  Does anyone know if this exists, and if so have positive
experiences to report?

If there isn't, anyone have any experience writing up a business plan?
;-)