Apache 1.3 + Nagios CGI = failure

Lukasz Szmit lukasz.szmit at ucd.ie
Thu Nov 3 16:44:48 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 13:07 -0200, Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 14:42 +0000, Lukasz Szmit wrote:
> > [Thu Nov  3 14:13:26 2005] [error] (13)Permission denied: exec
> > of /usr/nagios/sbin/tac.cgi failed
> > [Thu Nov  3 14:13:26 2005] [error] [client x.y.z.a] malformed header
> > from script. Bad
> > header=Launching... /usr/lib/apache-s: /usr/nagios/sbin/tac.cgi
>
> Let me guess, apache runs as user nobody and group nobody?
> You should make the owner or group of the apache process access the
> CGIs. It is all documented, on configuring web-interface.

No, it isn't. Debian default is www-data (both user and group).
Changing the group on /usr/nagios (recursively) to www-data doesn't make
a difference - I still get exactly the same error.
For some strange reason if I copy e.g. tac.cgi to the server
default /cgi-bin directory (Debian default for that
is /usr/lib/cgi-bin), which is owned by user:group root and has
permissions set to 755 - Apache is a happy camper and runs the script.

I have even double-checked if /usr is by any chance mounted with noexec,
which it isn't.

regards,
--
Lukasz Szmit | University College Dublin
Computing Services | +353-1-716-2651