Nagios as -d or background issue.

David Musser david.r.musser at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:53:02 CET 2005

Marcel,

Thank you for your response... also I appologize for the multi post.
I got a reply back when I sent the message that said:
---
junk
<junk at klik.to> to me
Hey    You got the wrong address but maybe you should check out
http://www.GMAIL.COM.AU
---

So I'm not sure what that was about, and I posted twice.

--

>Check if you have more than one Nagios processess running at the same
>time. And...

--- Only one nagios process is running.  I made sure to kill all the
other processes.  I also tested this from another server that I had
during development and I get the same issue.

>> What Nagios version and what is the plugin release?

--- nagios-plugins-1.4.2

> - Running nagios via a background process & and using the nohup to
> keep output gives status of unknown on several of the service checks
> for a solaris server.

What kind of output of those unknowns alerts?

---   Check Disk - /u01     UNKNOWN 11-02-2005 09:31:05  0d  0h 27m
16s 3/3 DISK OK - free space: /u01 7549 MB (89%):

> - Running nagios via the nagios -d command or the init.d/nagios script
> gives status of unknown on several of the service checks for a solaris
> server.

Always remember to kill the nagios process before starting another one.

--- I checked an no other services were running

> Note we are checking using ssh, talking to the plugins.  Running the
> check_by_ssh command by itself works, and returns the correct status.
> It's only when the service is run as a service or background process
> that we see the odd behavior.

You also should check if the user you run the check_by_ssh is root, and
then you have everything running fine, and the user who always check
things is nagios, or the same user who owns the nagios process.

--- Yes I checked and the user who is running the process is not root,
and I am using the ssh option to pass in a key so that it does not
have to have a password.  The thing that I think is the most odd is
that for some of the services a check disk for example.  It works
and gives a status of OK, but another check disk will return an unknown.

Command I use and output as by the command line:

./check_by_ssh -t 15 -l staff -i  /home/myuser/.ssh/id_rsa -H
192.168.36.10 -C '/software/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 20% -c 10%
/dev/dsk/c2t3d0s0'

DISK OK - free space: /u01 7549 MB (89%);| /u01=952MB;6800;7650;0;8501

-- Again sorry for the multi emails.  Is there any way to have nagios
give more output to the logs during the checks.  A verbose output
option or something.

> -D

PS: Sending more than one email, didn't get you answered faster. It is a
mailling list, not a helpdesk.

Message: 9