Selective email/paging notifications

Scot Jenkins scotjenkins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 01:52:00 CET 2005

I'm running Nagios 1.2 on FreeBSD 4.11 and Nagios 1.3 on Debian
stable.  I've read over the documentation on notifications but didn't
find an answer to my question.

Given a specific service on a host, I'd like to only receive an email
for warning and/or unknown status, yet receive email and pages for
critical and recovery events.

In my services.cfg, I've tried listing the service twice, once with:

define service {
        host_name                  gw
        service_description        CPU
        contact_groups             emails
        notification_options       w,u
}

define service {
        host_name                  gw
        service_description        CPU
        contact_groups             emails,pagers
        notification_options       c,r
}

The Nagios preflight check (nagios -v nagios.cfg) errors with:

Error: Service 'CPU' on host 'gw' has already been defined.

In addition to this it would also be nice to be able to receive
notifications during the day for a given service yet disable it at
other times.  For example, if the CPU is high during the day email and
page me, but I don't want to be paged in the middle of the night.  I
know I could use different notification periods but how can I do that
for the same service on a give host?

Does anyone have suggestions/examples on how to implement either of
these things?

Thanks,
Scot