Running as a daemon or background process?

David Musser david.r.musser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:09:53 CET 2005

I'm new to nagios. We have it setup on several servers, and all was working
nicely until a power outtage the other day on a server nagios is monitoring
with the plugins.

So now I'm not sure if the new issue is relating to that or something else.

Scenario.

- Running nagios via the command line - everything is ok and works as
expected.

- Running nagios via a background process & and using the nohup to keep
output gives status of unknown on several of the service checks for a
solaris server.

- Running nagios via the nagios -d command or the init.d/nagios script gives
status of unknown on several of the service checks for a solaris server.

Note we are checking using ssh, talking to the plugins. Running the
check_by_ssh command by itself works, and returns the correct status. It's
only when the service is run as a service or background process that we see
the odd behavior.

-D

--
David R. Musser