NSCA and MS Windows Confusion

Peter Cole peter.c at data-care.com.au
Thu Mar 31 04:10:40 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I've been trying for a few days now to find out the best way to
implement send_nsca.exe for our customer's Windows servers that we
maintain for them.

I've set up a Nagios server here at the office and it's monitoring our
internal services etc. fine, but I haven't needed to use send_nsca.exe
for this at all.

However, for our customers, I really need a secure method for getting
passive results from them to our Nagios server here.

Send_nsca.exe seems pretty straight forward, but I think I'm missing
something for how to get the actual monitoring set up on the Windows
servers and to feed the results to send_nsca.

I've looked through the distributed monitoring section of the
documentation as well as the passive service check section, as well as
Google search and the mailing list archives.

At this stage, the only feasible way seems to be by using Perl modules.

The problem with this is getting Perl onto their servers and whether it
will introduce instabilities or issues for them.

I've tried the Nagios event log agent written by Steve Shipway but I've
found it to be a little unreliable on Windows 2003. Mind you, it could
be something I'm doing wrong there too.

Does anyone have any further suggestions as to documentation or working
examples or anything that I can refer to at all? Or even an application
or service that will run and feed the results to send_nsca?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Peter Cole
Network Administration