Check_DNS recursive

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Wed Mar 30 03:04:30 CEST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:12:31AM -0600, Jay wrote:

> If our external DNS server is set to "recursion no;" it fails on the
> DNS check set to "recursion yes" then the dne_check works fine. Is
> there an easy work around ?

What hostname/s are you using in your check?  You should use a
name that the server is willing to return an answer for when it
is configured not to do recursion, i.e. in a zone your DNS
server actually hosts.

If the name you're checking is hosted by that server and therefore
should be answered regardless of the recursion setting, then it
sounds like there's something wrong with the DNS server's setup...