Trying to understand check_by_ssh

Bill Akins Bill_Akins at emoryhealthcare.org
Tue Mar 29 21:21:54 CEST 2005

If you have a common user, you can use push_check to copy the scripts to
the machines, if needed, then run them and report the output back to
Nagios.  You will need to set up shared key authentication so password
is not required.  So you will have to login at least once to each
machine and copy the RSA pub key from Nagios machine to each *nix box in
the users home dir (~/.ssh/authorized_keys2).

Check out the docs on it.
It works well and you can find it @
http://jjoseph.org/linux-work/nagios-plugins

HTH!

>>> Noel Carroll <noel at ece.utk.edu> 3/29/2005 12:07:26 PM >>>

Guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do some monitoring on some
remote hosts. I really haven't gotten my head around all this stuff
yet.
I need to monitor stuff like disk, memory, processes, cpu load, etc. I

see plugins that do all this great stuff for me. I have a user that has

access to all of these machines along with his NFS mounted home area.
Should I try to use check_by_ssh as that user and have a copy of the
plugin scripts in the user's home area?

My boss wants me to avoid things like nrpe because it's another daemon

we would have to install and script up for our deployment. It would be

easiest for us if we could do the above.

If anyone can kick me in the right direction or send me some links I
would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Noel Carroll
ECE IT Support