SV: Nagios 2.0 stable

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Thu Mar 24 00:23:54 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 18:03 -0500, Jeff McCune wrote:
> > I'm curious how the release of bacula 2.0 relates to your choice to use
> > alpha software in a production environment?
>
> s/bacula/nagios/

Oh, that makes much more sense :)

Nagios 2.0a was the exception (an exception that has yet to be
repeated).  I tested it a LOT over the course of a couple months and
determined any problems were things I could work around or was willing
to do without until fixed.  It was worth the added functionality.

Notably, there has been no occasion that I regret doing it, but I was
very aware of what I was getting myself into.

I am very wary of "alphaware" in general, but Nag 2.0a had a history I
was familiar with, and I knew when it was time (for me) to try a
skunkworks deployment.  At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to run Nag
2.0b anywhere (even in a "job depends on it" kind of place).

Beta, in many cases, has devolved to mean pretty little over the last
few years in my experience.

Look at the Woody release of Debian (a distro I don't use myself, but
their situation is well-known).  there's no reason that's still "beta".

Google News?  Been in beta for, what, three years?  Is there anything
I'm missing that they're hoping to do with it?

The WINE project?  They even DECLARE they'll never be done.