SV: Nagios 2.0 stable

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Wed Mar 23 20:47:37 CET 2005

jeff vier wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 10:31 -0500, Sean Dilda wrote:

>>For most projects, terms like 'alpha' and 'beta' have certain meanings
>>in regards to how stable/tested the code is and how likely it is to
>>change before final release.  And likewise, official releases tend to
>>not do things like drastically change the config layout as part of a
>>bugfix, whereas an alpha or beta might.
>

> Oh?  As I said before, how is it that "stable" code from [some]
> commercial companies have so many more problems than beta [and sometimes
> alpha] code from the OSS community?

I don't only care about stability in terms of if the program crashes/has
bugs.  I also care about stability in terms of lack of code churn.  I've
seen several betas before where functionality is added or removed
between the beta and the final release.  In addition to this, there's
also the possibility for subtle but important changes in the behavior of
the program.

I do do a lot of testing before I put something like nagios into
production.  And with nagios especially, part of that is figuring out
the best use of the features it offers and how to setup my configs.  I
don't know about you, but the only way I can keep myself sane with
nagios configs is to write my own config generator.  Some of the
configuration setup has changed between 1.2 and 2.0b2.  As such to
switch to it I'd have to sit down and reconfigure out the best way to do
my configs.  And there's also the possibility that the config setup
might change again before 2.0 final, and I'd rather only have to fix my
configs for 2.x once.

>>You may have no problems with it, and that's great.  However, there are
>>people out there whose job performance is tied to how well stuff like
>>this operates.  As such, they tend to make the wise choice of waiting
>>for an official release before investing time setting up something and
>>risking having to completely change your setup in a couple of weeks.  To
>>many professionals, having an official (as opposed to beta) release is
>>an indication from the developers that this code is ready for prime time
>>and will have bugfixes that don't cause you to rework things.
>

> So test it.
> Are you saying you'd do a blind deployment because Ethan says "I think
> it's fine"?

Look above, no.  What I'm saying is that I don't have time to test the
beta AND the final release.  Other people (like yourself) do, and I'm
glad they do.  Because it means that when 2.0 final comes out it will be
a better product.  But just because you and several others on here have
the time to test it and fix the bugs you find, doesn't mean everyone
else does.  As such, you shouldn't act like 1.2 is obsolete and people
should switch to 2.0, because for many of us, 2.0 isn't even an option
until the actual non-beta 2.0 release happens.