R: How limit external commands to no-admin users?

Peter J. Holzer hjp+nagios at wsr.ac.at
Mon Mar 21 12:27:57 CET 2005

On 2005-03-18 17:37:08 +0100, Marco Borsani wrote:
> I try to limit all users connected from a specific network, with the
> followinf lines inside the httpd.conf, but nothing happen!
>
>     <Directory /usr/local/nagios/var/rw>
>         AllowOverride None
>         Options None
>         Order Deny,Allow
>         Deny from all
>         Allow from 10.212.0.0/255.255.255.0
>     </Directory>
>
> Why these lines have not impact on my environment?

Because the web server never accesses that directory. The web server
invokes /usr/lib/nagios/cgi/*.cgi (or whereever the CGI programs are
installed in your nagios installation). It doesn't (and cannot) know
what directories and files the CGI programs will access.

This is really basic Apache configuration. I repeat my suggestion to
read the documentation of your webserver and understand how CGI works.
There are also a lot of books about Apache available, which are probably
easier to read than the Apache docs (I generally like the O'Reilly
books, but cannot recommend any particular Apache book, since I haven't
read them).

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer \Beta means "we're down to fixing misspelled comments in
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR     \the source, and you might run into a memory leak if
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ \write your plugins upside-down in lisp". --ae at op5.se