Some hosts never being checked, even when services are down.

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Fri Mar 18 17:44:26 CET 2005

Nagios 2.02b
OS: RHES3
Ever since I've moved to 2.02b, I have some host checks that do not ever
get checked. The services will all be down, but the host will not get
checked. I've tried running a host check manually on those boxes, and I
see the external comman: schedule_forced_host_check in my logs, but
nothing ever occurs. The host is always listed as up with a status
output of null.

Last Check time is listed as 	12-31-1969 17:00:00.

Last Update is 03-18-2005 09:38:30

This is occurring for about 25% of my hosts. All hosts have the same
format under my scheme which is.

define host {
                name                           generic-host
               notifications_enabled          1
               event_handler_enabled          1
               flap_detection_enabled         1
               process_perf_data              1
               retain_status_information      1
               retain_nonstatus_information   1
                register                       0
		}

And

define host {
                host_name                      $hostname
                use                            generic-host
                alias                          $alias
                address                        $ipaddress
                max_check_attempts             3
                notification_interval          60
               notification_period            24x7
               notification_options           d,u,r
                contact_groups                 DC_LinuxAdmins
               check_command                  check-host-alive
               parents                        $parents
               }

The check-host-alive command is set, and works for 75% of my machines.

I have 288 hosts running 1428 service checks. Would anyone have any
information to lead me to the cause of this?

There are times where the host will stay up for the entire duration of
the host being down with all of the services listed as critical, never
being checked. Other hosts check fine, and react normally.

Nathan Oyler
Information Technology
480-308-2342 Office

Khimetrics Inc.