"NC_Net active check socket failed" error

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 10:31:29 CET 2005

The error is due to some communication issues with the active checks.
Most NC_Net errors print the error message received from windows after
the :

Are any active checks working,
for example can you issue a check_nt -v CLIENTVERSION from the command line?
or did NC_Net active checks get stuck in a bad loop during startup of NC_Net?

the default port for the active checks is 1248
the problem may be something else on the network also using that port,

If you are not using active check, (you are only using  passive checks
with NC_Net) then you can disable active checks in the startup.cfg
If you are using an older version of NC_Net please upgrade the older
code was using slightly different code in handling the socket. (I do
not think this would help with that particular error)
Since this is an active check, try a different port. (make sure to
test that the port is open and not in use by other applications.)

Good Luck
TOny