check_ping works fine from command line but cgi shows ping results as "unknown"

Cristobal Sabroe Yde cris at cdc.unrc.edu.ar
Wed Mar 16 15:02:59 CET 2005

Hi, I have the exact same problem running SuSE 9.1.

I can use ping and check_ping under the nagios user in command line but
the cgi returns:
PING    UNKNOWN   ... /bin/ping -n -U -c 5 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Nagios 2.0b1 (tried 2.0b2 as well)
Plugins 1.4,
Dist: SuSE 9.1
uname -a:  Linux moni 2.6.5-7.147-default #1 Thu Jan 27 09:19:29 UTC
2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

If anyone could solve this problem, please let me know.
Thanks!

Dirk,

 have you tried running ping (or the plugin) as user nagios or as root?

 Probably it"s an access rights problem... IIRC Fedora activates selinux
 enhancements and thus it might be necessary to change these to allow the
 nagios user access to the network interface.

 Arno