problems with web interface

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Mar 15 11:14:33 CET 2005

Ben Browning wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> You have multiple instances of nagios running (can someone please put
>> this in a FAQ which new list-users are pointed to?). It happens from
>> time to time with 1.2 (and apparently with 2.x as well, according to
>> recent findings by Stanley Hopcroft).
>

> I can confirm this. I notice the problem is very bad when I enable the
> SNMP checks I am using- I suspect that the forked nagios processes don't
> exit properly on receiving a standard kill signal.
>
>> service nagios stop
>> killall -9 nagios
>> service nagios start
>

> IME this takes a few seconds, even with the -9.

That's because processes might be stuck in uninterruptable IO (read()
called on empty pipes, f.e.). The signal is queued until the process
goes interruptable again, so it's safe to restart nagios without waiting
those extra seconds because the old processes have no chance to
interfere with the new ones.

It's in linux/kernel/signal.c for those who wants to check it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer