Question about "Last Check" fields.

Michael Halligan michael.halligan at mypointscorp.com
Fri Mar 11 20:27:50 CET 2005

> I notice that even though I have all of my checks running every 5
minutes,
> the Last Check field in nagios will sometimes be several days out of
> date..
> What can I do to force nagio to be more accurate in that field? It has
> raised some doubt amongst management as to if Nagios is really working
or
> not.

Last Check data is updated at the same time the status information is
(i.e. when checks are performed) so they should always be accurate. Do
you have any orphaned check processes? Are you allowing enough
concurrent checks to be run (max_concurrent_checks)? Are you reaping
service check results often (service_reaper_frequency). I don't
understand why the information would be days old in either case. Perhaps
you _might_ have multiple daemons running? More information on your
installation, number of hosts and services and the type of hardware
might be helpful. Output of /path/to/nagios -s /path/to/nagios.cfg would
be informative as well.

Marc,

I'm not seeing any orphaned checks.
max_concurrent_checks = 0
service_reaper_frequency = 5
42 hosts
346 services
(I'm about to triple the # of hosts and services, though with a new rollout
this weekend)

It's running on a dell 1750, dual xeon 2.4ghz server with 2GB of memory, and 3 73GB drives,
hardware raid5.

Output of nagios -s :

-----------------------

Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

        SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
        -------------------------------
        Total services:             350
        Total hosts:                44

        Command check interval:     10 sec
        Check reaper interval:      5 sec

        Inter-check delay method:   SMART
        Average check interval:     120.857 sec
        Inter-check delay:          0.345 sec

        Interleave factor method:   SMART
        Average services per host:  7.955
        Service interleave factor:  8

        Initial service check scheduling info:
        --------------------------------------
        First scheduled check:      1110568976 -> Fri Mar 11 11:22:56 2005
        Last scheduled check:       1110569097 -> Fri Mar 11 11:24:57 2005

        Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
        Absolute minimum value:     15
        Recommend value:            45

        Notes:
        The recommendations for the max_concurrent_checks value
        assume that the average execution time for service
        checks is less than the service check reaper interval.
        The minimum value also reflects best case scenarios
        where there are no problems on your network.  You will
        have to tweak this value as necessary after testing.
        High latency values for checks are often indicative of
        the max_concurrent_checks value being set too low and/or
        the service_reaper_frequency being set too high.
        It is important to note that the values displayed above
        do not reflect current performance information for any
        Nagios process that may currently be running.  They are
        provided solely to project expected and recommended
        values based on the current data in the config files.