NRPE and remote hosts - problem

Luis Vidrio vid1972 at vidworld.net
Fri Mar 11 14:58:04 CET 2005

Werner Flamme wrote:

>Andre Loss schrieb am 11.03.2005 11:02:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have the same problem: as root the check_nrpe-command give an answer
>>like "OK...", but as user 'nagios' the answer is "cannot map tcp to
>>protocol number"
>>
>>I think, this is not a nagios-problem, then a problem of permissions.
>>But I don't know, which permissions are wrong... Can anybody help?
>>
>>Thanx
>>
>>Andre
>>

>Hi Andre,
>
>I understand this text so that there may be no entry in /etc/services for
>nrpe. Otherways you would get "Failed to obtain socket" or likewise.
>
>HTH,
>Werner
>

>>Arno Lehmann wrote:
>>

>>>Hi.

>>>Probably. You run nagios as user nagios, I assume, and your console
>>>check is run as root.
>>>su to nagios and try it. Then setup sudo or chenge the file permissions
>>>and retry.
>>>
>>>Arno

>Hello guys. I run nrpe under xinetd (or inetd) whichever you run. Maybe this will help out. Here is an example file for this:

file name: /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe
# default: on
        service nrpe
        {
                flags           = REUSE
                socket_type     = stream
                wait            = no
                user            = nagios
                server          = /usr/sbin/nrpe *<--location of nrpe
binary*
                server_args     = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
--inetd *<--location of nrpe config file*
                log_on_failure  += USERID
                disable         = no
                only_from       = x.x.x.x *<-- IPs of monitoring nagios
host*
        }