check_http resolver (bug or me?)

Michael J. Pawlowsky mikep at mi-consultants.com
Thu Mar 10 19:39:42 CET 2005

I just saw something interesting in my /var/log/messages regarding to named.

Mar 10 12:57:19 www named[19993]: lame server resolving
'www.business-plan-maker.com.mitimite.com' (
in 'mitimite.com'?): 65.125.228.92#53

mitimite.com is one of the completion domains that I have in resolv.conf.
mitimite.com DNS is not on this server. Nor is it the same DNS server as
business-plan-maker.com.

The only thing I can think of that is asking for the
www.business-plan-maker.com would be nagios.

I have a chkcommand defined as:

# 'check_http_site' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_http_site
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $ARG1$
        }

And in services have:

define service{
        host_name               web1.chancetechnologies.com
        service_description     check_http_site www.business-plan-maker.com
        check_command           check_http_site!www.business-plan-maker.com
        max_check_attempts      5
        normal_check_interval   5
        retry_check_interval    3
        check_period            24x7
        notification_interval   30
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    w,c,r
        contact_groups          chancetech
}

For the fun of it I'm trying it in services as
check_http_site!www.business-plan-maker.com. (trailiing period).
Would seem odd to nave to have a trailing period..   but worth a try.
Anyone else notice perhaps some strange resolv behaviour from check_http?

If I simply do a nslookup from the server were nagios is running all
looks well.
[root at www etc]# nslookup www.business-plan-maker.com
Server:         192.168.5.50
Address:        192.168.5.50#53