check_icmp plugin

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Wed Mar 9 23:01:08 CET 2005

Hi once more :-)

vivek sharma sharma wrote:

> I am using check_icmp plugin,if i use it on command line then it gives
> as ok but if i place it in hosts.cfg,services,cfg and also create it in
> checkcommands.cfg then in web interface the error message comes as
>
> check_icmp: Failed to obtain ICMP socket: Operation not permitted

You have an access rights problem.
Try running the commands as user nagios.
Then set up sudo or the file rights or whatever method you chose to
allow them to run as user nagios, then try again as user nagios.
repeat until it works.

> plz suggest .
>
> I have also tried using check_ping but as soon as i place more than two
> hosts in the service.cfg in line host_name:
> it gives the error:
> check_ping: %s: Warning threshold must be integer or percentage!
>
> although i am using $ARG$ in command defn. in checkcommands.cfg and i
> have defined % in command_name filed.

You should use $ARGn$ with n being a number so that $ARGn$ represents a
positional parameter. And why did you define a percent sign?

It might be better if you actually posted the parts of your
configuration that don't work (remember - parts only!).

Or, of course, start with the sample command definitions included in the
distribution.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de