Notification Script

Don Alfredo don.alfredo at pandora.be
Wed Mar 9 23:50:42 CET 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 19:33, Zaine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to change the
> notification layout. I have setup nagios to send notifications via sms, and
> when some of the non-it managers get the notification, the dont understand
> "Plugin timeout". Is there anyway that I can change this output, or is it
> hardcoded?
- if they don't know what it is about, why derange their beauty sleep ? don't
notify them.
Still, you can create another notification just for them, and use that
notification in their contact object.
 if your pager notification looks somewhat like this :
-------------
define command{
 command_name notify-by-sms
 command_line /usr/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$:
$HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'
 }
define command{
 command_name host-notify-by-sms
 command_line /usr/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$:
$HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'
 }
---------------
create another notification for the "less gifted" :

define command{
 command_name notify-by-sms-for-the-weenies
 command_line /usr/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ 'your toy just broke, dial
a techie'
 }
define command{
 command_name host-notify-by-sms-for-the-weenies
 command_line /usr/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$ 'buffer overflow, three
tech words follow and you can only handle two'
 }
(or you may just leave out the $OUTPUT$ macro, so they'l only get the status
without detail- more effective, less humorous)
define contact {
	contact_name				a-weenie
	host_notification_commands	host-notify-by-sms-for-the-weenies
}

you get the picture, right ?