Nagios Vs. Big Brother

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy+nagios at undergrid.net
Wed Mar 9 21:08:50 CET 2005

	Well, speaking as an administrator that when I took over the
office network that had Big Brother as the monitoring software and
quickly moved to Nagios (actually moved when it was still Netsaint). The
biggest reason for the move was the high level of false positives on
outagea. Big Brother has no concept of a "planned outage" which caused
countless alerts to be sent out for numerous services being monitored on
hosts during a planned outage. Big Brother had no "wiggle room" for
small network congestion which lead to more false positives when there
was a burp between monitoring host and monitored host.

	Overall Nagios has way more going for it than Big Brother.
Besides the ability to schedule outages and configurability to only send
alerts after X amount of monitoring failures, you then have to look at
the system as a whole. Nagios has much more reporting capability from
the historical trendlines. Also the ability to have configured
escalation routines and service/host dependencies.

	For us it was a no brainer...

	Regards,
	Jeremy