MONITORING remote hosts with 128 line -->> giving UNKNOWN states..most of the time..

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 9 11:18:53 CET 2005

Tharanga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i configured nagios and evrything is workig fine. but when i tried to
> monitor remote hosts in the WAN link...it gives lot of no response
> errors. and all the processes coming to "unknown" state. iam using
> snmp to check some process, hard disk..stuff...iam not using NRPE. we
> have a 128 line. some times ping process diplayes RTA = 1400...5000
> ms . UDP is connectionloess and i think snmp packets are droppping
> somewhere.

Most likely, yes.

> sometimes it gives correct out put....with ok
> states..critical..and real values like hard dik space...memory
> usage...via snmo.. how do i improve my monitoring process...

By giving udp and icmp a higher priority in your network, or reserving
about half the bandwidth for your nagios server. This means you'll steal
bandwidth from users for the monitoring. If that doesn't work or isn't
acceptable you'll have to upgrade your line.

> hope u
> guys can help... me to solve this...is there any way to fine tune the
> nagios polling...?? ( in my checkcommands i used TIMEOUT value with a
> high threshold but didnt work......).

There's really no help for lack of bandwidth, except to get more. A
proxy server might help, but only to some extent.

Please don't ask "how do I limit bandwidth" or "how do I set up a proxy
server" on this list (or privately). Both topics require far more time
to explain than I have to spare.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer