What if I don't want nagios to check the service but only display them in web interface?

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Mon Mar 7 12:20:10 CET 2005

Hello.

matato at pregi.net wrote:

>   I have a few questions regarding nagios. I'm currently monitoring 21
>   servers at work. Some of these servers contains services which are not really meant for serving or are restricted to certain
>  machines.Examples are services which are blocked by firewalls that are
>  impossible for nagios to check. My goal is to show all of the services
>  running in every server in nagios web interface but without having nagios
>  to check those services that are not really meant for public use, or say,
>  do not display their critical status, last check, duration, attemp. My plan is to just put some comments on those machines why those services
>  are not being check etc. Also, I want to display those services which
>  doesn't have available plugins to check them in web interface,but like the above, without having nagios to check them or display a red
> critical status which will just confuse the viewer with their status etc.
> Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand what you want... you want services be shown in
the web interface but no checks being run?

Use the check_dummy plugin.

Or try to explain your problem once mor :-)

> BTW, I used nmap -sF to forcely discover those services.
>

> Some of the services without plugins to check them with their ports are:
>
> auth -> 113
> netbios-ssn -> 139
> zebra -> 2601
> ospfd -> 2604
> squid-http -> 3128
> netview-aix-1 -> 1661
> bgp -> 179
> bgpd -> 2605
> daytime -> 13
> time -> 37
> rpcbind -> 111
> ipp -> 631
> https -> 443
> postgresql -> cannot obtain an account to database admins
> mysql -> cannot obtain an account to database admins

Many of these services can be checked... basically, everything reachable
can be minimally checked. Example: ipp, https and squid can all be
cheched using check_http, netbios-ssn sounds like smb to me, check_tcp
can et least verify that some daemon is running at any port, and
everything with a banner line on connect can have that checked as well.

Hope that hekps

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de