Checking more frequently when in non-OK state

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 7 12:01:58 CET 2005

Ian Chard wrote:
> I have a webserver that I need to monitor, but its webmaster doesn't
> want it to be checked more than once an hour.  I want to configure
> Nagios so that checks are run once an hour when it's in an OK state,
> but once every 60 seconds when it's not OK.
>
> I've read the documentation about normal_check_interval and
> retry_check_interval, but I think what I want is something slightly
> different:  I still want the alert sent as soon as a non-OK state is
> detected, but if I set max_check_attempts to 1 then retry_check_interval
> never gets used.
>
> Is there another way around this?

No. The max_check_attempts is meant to be used to suppress notifications
when there are temporary glitches in the network. It won't matter much
anyway, since you'll at most have a notification delay of
default_check_interval anyway (if the webserver goes down the second
after nagios has checked it it will be an hour before you receive a
notification).

OTOH, if the webserver is so fragile it can't stand checking once every
three or five minutes, you might want to look at replacing it. If it's
so non-critical it doesn't matter if its down for an hour or so you
might not want to check it at all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer